Client wanted his entire property aerated and nourished with worms. After doing a little research, we found this to be an exciting task, as what a great fit for a company called Designing with Nature.
Worms provide fantastic Aeration and Fertilizer for the yard and the addition of worms was really easy. Another great benefit we discovers is that Worms self regulate their population. When the company we purchased the worms from told us we would need 5000 worms, we really thought that was amazing, but to learn that they would double their population until they reached a point of max population per yard space, blew us away.
Some facts we learned in the process:
- There is a reason that earthworms are referred to as the ‘earth’s original gardener’. Infestations of earthworms reduce the requirement for outside chemicals and fertilizers. The worms increase the alkaline nature of the soil by emitting calcium carbonate into the soil while ingesting organic material thus increasing the PH level of the soil over an extended period of time.
- Earthworms take the air from the soil in through their skin. Tunnels through the soil that enable it to become aerated allow moisture in the form of water, as well as ait to enter the worm’s skin through thin membranes.
- Earthworms provide an invaluable service to the lawn. Earthworms aerate the soil through the year and merely arise to the surface in September to breed. Worms are valuable to lawns because they process harmful compounds like fungi and bacteria. Earthworms do not feed on healthy plant matter – therefore, the worms are only helpful.
- Having earthworms that live in the top ten centimeters will allow the soil to become aerated and this helps the soil to retain moisture. Moisture is one of the keys to successful soil. The aeration enables oxygen to enter the soil and creates a healthier foundation for the grass to grow from.
- Earthworms are more than the original gardener. They are a measure of the quality of the soil, and decomposers. Earthworms are good – for the lawn and for the earth.
Designing in Nature is going to add this to our services for any account that wants to start using this natural method of making your yard look great.
If you would like to discuss if this method is good for your yard. Give us a call. 775-782-4999.