Consider that all landscape designs have design parameters which shape the design.
At Designing with Nature we categorize these these parameters into: Customer needs, Site Parameters, Climate conditions. Local requirements and a Budget.
- Customer Needs: (Function of the spaces, aesthetics, expected maintenance, children, pets, entertaining,desired elements such as BBQ, Hot tub, Pool, lawn etc...
- Site Parameters - (Lot size, construction access, sun orientation, slope of area, soil types, existing features such as trees walls, fences,patio covers, patios, views, screening, access to existing utilities, drainage (the most important parameter in functional design)
- Climate Conditions - Wind direction, shade, sun orientation, temperature, (We are considered Zone 1-3 in the Sunset western Garden Book zone definitions)
- Local Requirements - permits, associations, city or county building codes, TRPA, water usage rules.
- Budget - The most controlling factor of a landscape design is the budget. It is helpful to have a rough budget before starting the design. Material choices for hardscape items can help control the budget. Tree and plant quantities and sizes also control the budget. Phasing the project can allow you to have what you want because you stretch the cost over several years. Maintenance costs.
- Map out your space before starting.
- Identify workflow obstacles such as gates in your fence and best place to store materials while developing project.
- Consider the Sun and water if planting? Buy the right kind of plants for your sun and water availability.
- If you building or digging, check the county requirements and look into local community requirements.
- Set your budget and don't be alarmed if you need to do project in stages.
- Ask a professional for help.
Designing with Nature has been serving local valley business and residents for nearly 20 years. We would be pleased and honored to assist you in your project this spring and help you keep it looking like new for years to come. Give us a call if we can help.